Thursday, April 7, 2011

Curtains for Danno

We got new windows last Fall. Part of the project was making the boys' windows larger and higher off the floor. This was done in October. We also painted the rooms and papered an accent wall in each. Little guy hadn't had any curtains since then. It was fine for the winter since it was dark so early in the evening, but lately it's been almost daylight at bedtime. I couldn't put it off any longer. I bought the supplies for these a couple of weeks ago but I wasn't quite sure how to put them together. I have some printed fabric with cars on it, the same as in the pants I made for him in March. I wanted to incorporate that, but maybe it will have to be an accent pillow. Or, I was thinking I could applique something onto the finished curtains in the vehicles print. His name? Something fun?
He loves orange and it works well with his blue room. I tried and tried to find some ready made curtains in orange that could block light. No luck there. I bought a single sheet set and an oversized light blocking panel from the drapery section. I cut the light blocking panel in half and cut and sewed some of the extra width onto the top to make them longer. I cut the twin flat sheet in half and folded it/pressed it/pinned it around the panels. I made a simple fold across the top to pass the curtain rod through. It was a pretty easy project. Start to finish it was about 3 hours. They work quite well to block light, too. A bonus of using a sheet set is that now he has a fitted sheet and a pillowcase to match his curtains. He woke up this morning at a reasonable time and told us he had a great sleep. Success! Bedtime was smooth last night too.

It's overcast right now, but when the sun shines it's lovely in his room.

This is a before picture, if you are interested. The old window was narrow and very low to the floor. It didn't open large enough to meet code, either. If a fire marshal had seen these (both boys' bedrooms had the same windows) he would have had a fit! Also, this window was broken :\ Just the inner pane. Not sure how it happened, maybe the house shifted a bit.

A lot of structural work had to be done to support the roof over the new windows. The guys at MadDesigns did a fantastic job. Craig did the drywall repair for us overnight so the workers could put the trim on the next day.


Post a Comment